Theyon Web Title

Theydon Bois Village Web Site

A Brief History of Theydon Bois


Theydon Bois from an 1860 Engraving by W.H. Boot

1066
Population around 10.
1253 Manor House and wood and stone church built on the present site of Theydon Hall.
1305
Charter granted to Theydon Garnon by Edward I.
1381 Peasants Revolt.
1428
The community is small but by now is called Theydon Bois. It is one of the few villages in Ongar Hundred that did not have to pay taxation because there were fewer than 10 householders.
1535 Royalty visit the area. Mummers and travellers visit Theydon and entertain the village folk.
1656
Bull Inn dates from this time. Remained a residential tyle-house until 1717 because the village was too small and travelers too few to support.
1735 Benjamine Smart living at Birch Hall, Theydon Bois is the Lord of the Manor.
1753 Benjamin Smart builds almshouses in the village.
1770 Highwaymen, including John Rann ("Sixteen String Jack") are frequently in the Epping Forest area.
1777
About 12 houses round The Green and few elsewhere in the Parish.
1822
A small school started.
1828
8 pupils.
1831
Number of inhabitants 676.
1832
62 Oak trees planted along The Avenue across The Green by Robert Westerby Hall-Dare, Lord of the Manor.
1833
12 pupils.
1840
New school built in Coppice Row.
1841
Population dropped to 538.
1851
Forest lands were being enclosed and it appeared that Epping Forest might disappear.
1843 Proposal to build a new Parish Church in Theydon Bois.
1851
St. Mary's Church built and the old one on Abridge Road pulled down.
1856
Railway reached Loughton from London.
1865
Railway reached Theydon Bois.
1867
Windmill on Bell Common pulled down.
1870
20 houses built on Piercing Hill.
1872
Gas brought into village.
1878
Epping Forest Act passed and many enclosed plots were reopened .
1879
Water piped into village.
1882
Epping Forest dedicated by Queen Victoria at High Beach.
1883
First footpath along the northwest side of The Green.
1885
First modern houses on the Blackacre Estate and Woburn Avenue.
1886
Police station built on the corner of Forest Drive where the new flats now stand.
1890
Terraced houses built on the southwest side of The Green and along Theydon Park road.
1900
Main drains laid.
1902
School partly demolished due to poor foundations and new school built. Now the College of Preceptors (or Teachers) this has recently been sold.
1928
Electricity came to the village.
1931
Census: Population 1504. Households 395.
1940 Parachute Mine explodes on The Plain demolishing "The Retreats".
1943 The Theydon Bois Rural Preservation Society formed.
1943
The Village association formed to coordinate local organisations.
1949
Railway electrified and became part of the 'Underground'.
1951
Census: Population 2665. Households 849.
1957
Theydon Bois Count Primary School built in Orchard Drive.
1961
Census: Population 3925. Households 1268.
1962
Theydon Bois Baptist Church built.
1965
The Village Hall was built.
1971
Census: Population 4122. Households 1360.
1991
Census: Population 3946. Households 1530.
2000
Work starts on the New Village Hall.

Much more on the History of Theydon Bois Is available at the British History on Line Website.

Top